The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight-tested a New Generation Nuclear-Capable Ballistic Missile “Agni P (Prime)” from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam island off the coast of Odisha, Balasore. As per DRDO officials, Agni-Prime is a new generation advanced variant of the Agni class of missiles.
Important point About the Agni P
- Agni P is the first of the new class of Agni missile to be launched by DRDO. The ballistic missile weighs 50% less than Agni 3 and has new guidance and a new generation of propulsion.
- Agni P is a new generation advanced variant of the Agni class of missiles. It is christened Agni Prime.
- It has a range capability between 1,000 and 2,000 kms.
- It is a canisterised surface-to-surface ballistic missile that can be launched from rail and road and stored for a longer period and transported all across the country as per operational requirements.
- It weighs half of the Agni III missile.
- It has many advanced technologies such as composites, propulsion systems, innovative guidance and control mechanisms and state of the art navigation systems.
- It can be used to target enemy warships in the Indo-Pacific.
Telegram channel for daily current affairs 👉 Click here
Weekly current affairs Quiz 👉 Click here
Note – Agni is one of the five missiles developed by the DRDO under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme that started in 1983.
India’s first intermediate-range ballistic missile, Agni I was successfully test-fired in May 1989 and was inducted into service in 2004. The missile has a range capability between 700 and 900 kilometres.
Successful test-firings by DRDO
• The Defence Research and Development Organisation on July 25, 2021, successfully test-fired the range versions of indigenously developed 122mm Caliber rocket from a Multi-Barrel Rocket Launcher (MBRL) at Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
• On July 24 and July 25, 2021, the organization also successfully test-fired an extended range-version of an indigenously developed Pinaka rocket from MBRL at ITR Chandipur off the Coast of Odisha.
Important points for all competitive exams
- The DRDO was established in 1958.
- DRDO started its first major project in surface-to-air missiles (SAM) known as Project Indigo in the 1960s.
- Chief ‐ Avinash Chander
- Founded – 1958
- Headquarters – DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi