IndiGo has appointed its co-founder and promoter Rahul Bhatia as the Managing Director (MD).
IndiGo’s board of directors on Friday unanimously approved, with immediate effect, the appointment of Bhatia, subject to necessary regulatory approvals, the company said in an exchange filing. Prior to being named the company’s managing director, Bhatia was its non-executive director.
Bhatia’s appointment came on a day when India’s biggest passenger airline, with a market share in upwards of 53% as of October 2021, surprisingly swung back to profit, posting a profit of Rs 1.3 billion in the three months to December 31 and beating analysts’ forecasts of a loss.
IndiGo has appointed its co-founder and promoter Rahul Bhatia as the Managing Director (MD) of the company with immediate effect. He is the first-ever MD of Indigo, because before this the company never had a managing director. Ronojoy Dutta is the CEO of the Indigo. IndiGo is India’s biggest airline by market share. It is headquartered at Gurgaon, Haryana. The company is the parent of the country’s largest airline IndiGo.
Best telegram channel for daily current affairs? Click here
Important days? Click here
The board of directors, during its meeting, unanimously approved the appointment of Bhatia as the managing director with immediate effect, subject to the approval of the shareholders. IndiGo is back in the black with a net profit for the December quarter at Rs 130 crore. The profit comes after the airline posted a loss for a series of straight quarters.
- IndiGo Airlines ranks as one of the most popular domestic airlines and has a large network in India.
- The airline is known for low airfare flights clubbed with on-time arrivals and departures as well as top standards in hospitality.
- This has made GoIndiGo Airlines one of the most reliable names in the industry.
- It is also the largest individual Asian low-cost carrier in terms of jet fleet size and passengers carried, and the sixth largest carrier in Asia with over 6.4 crore (64 million) passengers carried in financial year 2018–19
- Its first international flight was between New Delhi and Dubai in September 2011.
- IndiGo was awarded the Skytrax World Airline Award for being the best low-cost airline of India and Central Asia at the World Airline Awards, Farnborough, the UK in July 2012.
- The most popular domestic hubs for IndiGo booking are Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata, Goa and Delhi. Bangkok and Kathmandu are its two top international hubs that see maximum IndiGo bookings.
Important points for all competitive exams
- IndiGo Founded – 2005
- IndiGo Headquarters – Gurugram
- Who is the CEO of IndiGo? – Ronojoy Dutta
- Who is the chairman of IndiGo? – Meleveetil Damodaran