International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict is observed globally on 19th June every year. This day aims to raise awareness of the prevalence and soaring numbers of people, mainly women, boys and girls affected by sexual violence in conflict and the need for greater efforts to prevent sexual violence and support victims/survivors and pay tribute to all those who have courageously devoted their lives to and lost their lives in standing up for the eradication of these crimes.
This year’s International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict is an opportunity for us to highlight the importance of taking concrete measures to prevent sexual violence as a weapon or consequence of conflict. Where it continues to occur, we aim to provide adequate support to the victims/survivors, such as the provision of appropriate medical care and other supports as needed, including mental health/psycho-social support.
On 19 June 2015, the United Nations General Assembly (A/RES/69/293) announced 19 June of consistently the International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict.
Telegram channel for daily current affairs 👉 Click here
Click here 👉 Weekly current affairs Quiz
Worldwide Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict: History
- The Auschwitz Institute for Peace and Reconciliation (AIPR) recognizes June 19 as the annual International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict.
- The date was established by the United Nations General Assembly on June 19, 2015 through A/RES/69/293 to raise awareness of the crimes related to sexual violence in conflict and the need to stop them, as well as to honor victims, survivors, and those working to end these practices. The date of June 19 was chosen to coincide with the anniversary of the adoption of Security Council Resolution 1820, which covers the topic of sexual violence as a tactic of war.
- The date was picked to recognize the selection on 19 June 2008 of Security Council goals 1820 (2008), during which the Council censured sexual savagery as a strategy of war and a hindrance to peacebuilding. 2021 marks the seventh year of celebration of the day.
Important for Competitive Exams
- UN is headquartered on international territory in New York City
- Secretary general of UN: António Guterres
- UN Founded in 24 October 1945, San Francisco, California, United States