India’s Rudreswara Temple has been added to the list of ‘world heritage site’ by UNESCO on Sunday (July 25, 2021).
The Kakatiya Rudreswara Temple, (also known as the Ramappa Temple or Ramalingeshwara) at Palampet, Mulugu district, near Warangal in Telangana has been the 800-year-old religious site was proposed as the sole nomination for the UNESCO World Heritage site tag for 2019, during the 44th session of the World Heritage Committee of UNESCO. With this latest induction, there are 39th World Heritage Sites located in India.
The temple complexes of Kakatiyas have a distinct style, technology and decoration exhibiting the influence of the Kakatiyan sculptor.
The World Heritage Committee has inscribed 1,121 sites in 167 countries on the World Heritage List till date, according to UNESCO. India currently has 39 properties inscribed on the prestigious list, ranging across cultural, natural, and mixed sites. Some of the sites, on the list, include Agra Fort (1983), Ajanta Caves (1983), Archaeological Site of Nalanda Mahavihara at Nalanda, Bihar (2016), Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi (1989), Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park (2004), Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (2004), Churches and Convents of Goa (1986), Elephanta Caves (1987), Ellora Caves (1983), Fatehpur Sikri (1986).
Best telegram channel for daily current affairs 👉 Click here
Important days 👉 Click here
About the Rudreswara temple or Ramalingeshwara temple or Thousand Pillar Temple
- The Rudreswara temple was constructed in 1213 AD during the reign of the Kakatiya Empire by RecharlaRudra, a general of Kakatiya king Ganapati Deva.The presiding deity here is RamalingeswaraSwamy. It is also knownas the Ramappa temple, after the sculptor who executed the work in the temple for 40 years.
- The iconic 13th-century temple is also known as Ramappa temple, named after its architect, Ramappa.
- The temple complexes of Kakatiyas have a distinct style, technology and decoration exhibiting the influence of the Kakatiyan sculptor.
- The Ramappa Temple is a manifestation of this andoften stands as a testimonial to the Kakatiyan creative genius.
- The temple stands on a six feet high star-shaped platform with walls, pillars and ceilings.
- The sculptural art and decoration specific to the time and Kakatiyan Empire have an outstanding universal value.
- The distinct style of Kakatiyas for the gateways to temple complexes, unique only to this region confirm the highly evolved proportions of aesthetics in temple and town gateways in South India.
European merchants and travelers were mesmerized by the beauty of the temple and one such traveler had remarked that the temple was the “brightest star in the galaxy of medieval temples of the Deccan”.
Important points for all competitive exams
- UNESCO headquarters: Paris, France.
- UNESCO Head: Audrey Azoulay.
- UNESCO Founded: 16 November 1945.
Important Solved questions related to World Heritage sites for all competitive exams
|1. Which continent has most World Heritage sites?|
Ans. Of the five regions Unesco uses, Europe and North America has the most world heritage sites, with 420 cultural, 61 natural and 10 mixed sites.
2. How many types of heritage are there?
Ans. There are three types of sites: cultural, natural, and mixed.
3. Which is the largest natural World Heritage Site?
Ans. French Austral Lands and Seas(France).
4. What is the theme of World Heritage Day 2021?
Ans. “Complex Pasts: Diverse Futures”
5. What was the theme of World Heritage Day 2019?
Ans. “Rural Landscapes“
6. Which city is known as heritage city of India?
Ans. Ahmedabad, Gujarat
7. How many heritage sites are there in India in 2021?
Ans. India already has 38 Unesco World Heritage Sites.
8. Which of these World Heritage sites was built the most recently?
Ans. Churches of the Pskov School of Architecture (Russia)
9. What was the first Unesco World Heritage Site?
Ans. City of Quito
10. Which country has largest no of World Heritage sites?
Ans. Italy, with 57 entries, has the highest number of World Heritage Sites.
11. Which university in India is included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites?
Ans. Nalanda University
12. Which organization declares a site of special cultural or physical significance as a World Heritage Site?
Ans. UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)