Best telegram channel for daily current affairs? Click here
Important days ? Click here
- World’s largest star sapphire cluster was found in the backyard of a Sri Lankan gem trader.
- The sapphire cluster weighs around 510kgs or 2.5 million carats.
- The cluster has been named the “Serendipity Sapphire” .
World’s largest star sapphire the cluster was found by labourers digging a well in the backyard of a house in the gem-rich area of Ratnapura,Srilanka. The stone is pale blue in colour and has an estimated value of up to $100 million in the international market. The name Ratnapura, in fact, means city of gems, and it is known as Sri Lanka’s gem capital. The sapphire cluster weighs around 510kgs or 2.5 million carats.
Mr Gamage is a third-generation gem trader and immediately informed the authorities about the discovery. However, it took him more than a year to clean the stone of mud and other dirt before it could be analysed and certified.
Important points for all competitive exams
- Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, island country lying in the Indian Ocean and separated from peninsular India by the Palk Strait. It is located between latitudes 5°55′ and 9°51′ N and longitudes 79°41′ and 81°53′ E and has a maximum length of 268 miles (432 km) and a maximum width of 139 miles (224 km).
- Sri Lanka Capitals: Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte (legislative), Colombo (executive and judicial)
- Sri Lanka Currency: Sri Lankan rupee.
- Sri Lanka Prime Minister: Mahinda Rajapaksa;
- Sri Lanka President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa.